Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. TRUMP SET TO CLEAR RELEASE OF CLASSIFIED MEMO
White House officials say the move will come despite the strong objections of Trump’s own Justice Department to the release of classified material on the Russia investigation.
2. YOUNG SUSPECT IN LA SCHOOL SHOOTING
A girl believed to be 12 years old is under arrest after four students are shot and wounded at a Los Angeles middle school.
3. WHERE POT CONVICTIONS ARE BEING ERASED
Now that marijuana is legal in the state, some prosecutors in California are moving to wipe out past pot convictions en masse.
4. GIRL SENTENCED IN SLENDER MAN STABBING
Morgan Geyser, 15, gets 40 years in a mental hospital for a 2014 attack on a classmate inspired by the fictional horror character Slender Man.
5. WHY THIS LARRY NASSAR ACCUSER GOT AN APOLOGY FROM POLICE
A Michigan police chief says his department should have consulted an outside expert before dismissing a 2004 assault complaint from then-17-year-old Brianne Randall-Gay against Nassar, the former doctor for the U.S. women’s Olympic gymnastics team.
6. MORE TAKE-HOME PAY FOR MANY IN U.S.
U.S. employers are implementing new withholding guidelines from the IRS, part of a controversial tax overhaul that will mean an average tax cut of $930 this year for a middle-income household, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.
7. WHY INVESTORS ARE WORRIED ABOUT APPLE
The company’s stock has fallen 7 percent in two weeks as sales of the pricey iPhone X have disappointed and conspiracy theories surround Apple’s secret slowdown of older iPhones.
8. WHAT’S CAUSING POLAR BEARS TO LOSE WEIGHT
A study says climate change is the cause of dwindling ice cover on the Arctic Ocean that polar bears need for hunting seals each spring.
9. RACIAL PROFILING IS PERSONAL FOR BLACK NFL STARS
The AP asks 56 of the 59 black players at this year’s Pro Bowl game whether they or someone they knew have ever experienced racial profiling. All say yes.
10. WHO WON’T JOIN JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE FOR THE SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW
The pop superstar says there won’t be a reunion of his boy band ‘N Sync, or any other special guests, when he takes the stage in Minneapolis for the Super Bowl halftime show.