(Family Features) As families look to incorporate more nutritious dishes into meals from morning to night, using kid-friendly recipes can help make the process easier and more fun. For example, these frozen sandwiches make for an easy grab-and-go breakfast.
This and other family-friendly recipes are part of Dole’s healthy-living alliance with Disney’s Frozen 2. For details, visit dole.com/Disney. Follow Dole at #Dole and #DoleRecipes.
Make-Ahead Frozen Brrr-eakfast Bites
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus cooling time
Cook time: 25 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) DOLE® Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Dole Red Onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups Dole Baby Spinach
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 100% whole-grain English muffins, split
- 8 frozen chicken breakfast sausage patties
- Heat oven to 375° F. Spray 13-by-9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs. In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach; cook 3 minutes, or until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Stir milk, salt, pepper and vegetables into eggs; transfer to prepared dish. Bake 25 minutes, or until set and internal temperature reaches 160° F; cool and cut into eight equal pieces.
- Assemble sandwiches with muffins, sausage patties and egg mixture; wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze up to 2 weeks.
- Unwrap one sandwich; wrap loosely with paper towel. Heat in microwave oven on high 2 1/2-3 minutes, or until completely heated through and internal temperature of sausage and egg mixture reaches 165° F.
Approximate nutritional information per serving (1 sandwich): 317 calories (114 calories from fat); 13 g fat; 0 g trans fat; 2 g polyunsaturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat; 212 mg cholesterol; 572 mg sodium; 33 g carbohydrates; 334 g potassium; 4 g fiber; 6 g sugars; 19 g protein; vitamin A 25%; vitamin C 35%; calcium 15%; iron 20%; vitamin E 8%; thiamin 25%; vitamin B6 10%; phosphorus 15%; magnesium 15%; manganese 15%.