Wednesday, July 28, 2021
81.9 F
Fort Worth

Sterling to fight Clippers sale, proceed with $1B lawsuit against NBA

🕐 2 min read

By Holly Yan

(CNN) – The deal is off. The suit is on.

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is withdrawing his support for the sale of his team and is asking his lawyer to go ahead with a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA.

“From the onset, I did not want to sell the Los Angeles Clippers. I have worked for 33 years to build the team,” Sterling said in a statement, forwarded to CNN by his lawyer Max Blecher.

Referring to NBA commissioner, Sterling added, “I believe that Adam Silver acted in haste by illegally ordering the forced sale of the Clippers, banning me for life from the NBA and imposing the fine. … The action taken by Adam Silver and the NBA constitutes a violation of my rights and fly in the face of the freedoms that are afforded to all Americans.”

It’s exactly the kind of move that made Silver wary of the litigious Sterling.

“He’s unsold his club several times over the years,” Silver told CNN’s Rachel Nichols in an exclusive interview this week.

“There’s well-noted incidents in the league when he was right there at a closing and at the last minute decided not to sell.”

Sterling, 80, has been embroiled in controversy since a recording of a conversation with friend V. Stiviano revealed he made a series of racist comments.

The comments sparked outrage among NBA players, executives and fans. The commissioner fined Sterling $2.5 million and pushed to terminate all of his ownership rights in the franchise.

“To be clear, I am extremely sorry for the hurtful statements I made privately,” Sterling said in his statement. “I made those statements in anger and out of jealousy all in the context of a private conversation. While this is not an excuse for the statements, like every other American, I never imagined that my private conversation would be made public.”

Sterling has seemingly changed his mind multiple times about what he wants to happen to the team.

In late May, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer made a $2 billion offer to buy the Clippers. Sterling’s estranged wife Shelly, a co-owner of the team, agreed to sell the franchise to Ballmer.

Sterling initially indicated he would fight that sale. He also filed a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA for its decision to ban him for life and force him to sell the franchise.

But his attorneys said last week that Sterling supported the team’s sale to Ballmer. The attorneys said last Wednesday that the lawsuit had yet to be withdrawn, but said that would likely happen in the coming days.

Now, it appears, the Sterling-NBA fight is back on.

CNN’s Artemis Moshtaghian, Dave Alsup, Brian Todd and Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.  

Robert Francis
Robert is a Fort Worth native and longtime editor of the Fort Worth Business Press. He is a former president of the local Society of Professional Journalists and was a freelancer for a variety of newspapers, weeklies and magazines, including American Way, BrandWeek and InformatonWeek. A graduate of TCU, Robert has held a variety of writing and editing positions at publications such as the Grand Prairie Daily News and InfoWorld. He is also a musician and playwright.

Related Articles

Our Digital Sponsors

Latest Articles

Not ready to subscribe?

Try a few articles on us.

Enter your email address and we will give you access to three articles a month, to give us a try. You also get an opportunity to receive our newsletter with stories of the day.

Get our email updates

Stay up-to-date with the issues, companies and people that matter most to business in the Fort Worth.

  • Restaurants
  • Technology
  • and more!

FWBP Morning Brief

FWBP 5@5

Weekend Newsletter

  • Banking & Finance
  • Culture
  • Real Estate