WICHITA, Kan. (AP) – Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle will not face misdemeanor charges following a domestic disturbance in Kansas, city prosecutors said Friday.
The Wichita city attorney’s office announced its decision in a brief press release after completing its review of the Feb. 3 incident involving Randle and the mother of his child at a hotel in Wichita.
Earlier in the week, Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said there was not sufficient evidence to bring felony charges, but left open at the time the possibility of misdemeanor charges from the city prosecutor’s office.
Randle’s attorney, Gary Ayers, declined comment on the latest development. He has long contended the allegations against his client “have no merit.”
Randle could still face punishment from the NFL under terms of a personal conduct policy that was revised in December after the league was widely criticized for its handling of Ray Rice’s domestic violence case.
The Kansas case stems from an incident at a Wichita hotel where Randle’s former girlfriend, Dalia Jacobs, had gone that day so he could see their baby. Jacobs told police Randle brandished a gun and broke a car window during the altercation.
She claimed in a protective order filed the next day that Randle pointed a gun at a vehicle with their son and her friend inside.