A Dallas grand jury’s term has ended without taking up the domestic violence case against free agent NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel.
The case was “rescheduled,” a spokesperson for the Dallas County district attorney’s office told KTVT-TV. It will “probably” be considered when a new grand jury is chosen, the spokesperson said. A new grand jury is expected to convene within seven-to-10 days.
After a three-week investigation, Dallas police in late February sent the case to the grand jury to determine whether there was enough evidence to indict Manziel on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge that carries a punishment of up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
On Jan. 30, Manziel’s ex-girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, accused him of striking her with so much force that her lawyer said she suffered a ruptured eardrum and threatening to kill her. Crowley, who also said that Manziel threatened to kill her and himself, requested and was granted a protective order against Manziel – who was not charged by police. He must stay at least 500 feet away from her home and workplace for two years and was ordered to pay $12,000 in legal fees.
The couple was involved in an incident last fall in which the two quarreled on the side of a road in Ohio. Crowley chose not to press charges and Manziel later admitted that he had been drinking.
Manziel presently is a free agent after being cut by the Cleveland Browns last month. So far, no team has approached him.