Monday, September 20, 2021
99.3 F
Fort Worth

Change of plan: Dallas County won’t house immigrant children

🕐 1 min read

 

DALLAS (AP) – Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins says his county won’t take in any immigrant children crossing the Texas border illegally, a reversal of his earlier offer to house as many as 2,000 kids.

Jenkins told reporters Thursday that federal officials have notified him that they no longer need space in Dallas.

Thousands of unaccompanied children have crossed the border into the United States from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

Jenkins announced last month that Dallas County would help federal facilities overwhelmed by undocumented children. In recent weeks, he met with President Barack Obama and local community leaders on immigration and how to deal with the children.

Robert Francis
Robert is a Fort Worth native and longtime editor of the Fort Worth Business Press. He is a former president of the local Society of Professional Journalists and was a freelancer for a variety of newspapers, weeklies and magazines, including American Way, BrandWeek and InformatonWeek. A graduate of TCU, Robert has held a variety of writing and editing positions at publications such as the Grand Prairie Daily News and InfoWorld. He is also a musician and playwright.

Related Articles

Our Digital Sponsors

Latest Articles

Not ready to subscribe?

Try a few articles on us.

Enter your email address and we will give you access to three articles a month, to give us a try. You also get an opportunity to receive our newsletter with stories of the day.

Get our email updates

Stay up-to-date with the issues, companies and people that matter most to business in the Fort Worth.

  • Restaurants
  • Technology
  • and more!

FWBP Morning Brief

FWBP 5@5

Weekend Newsletter

  • Banking & Finance
  • Culture
  • Real Estate