FBI arrest 3 in Fort Worth on kidnapping, extortion plot at Home Depot

On Oct. 16, the FBI in Fort Worth arrested three men stemming from the kidnapping and extortion of two men, announced U.S. Attorney John Parker of the Northern District of Texas.

Fernando Cabrera, 21, Nygul Anderson, 19, and Albert Gonzalez, 18, all of Monterrey, Mexico, were arrested on a federal criminal complaint stemming from the kidnapping and extortion of two men.

Cabrera, Anderson and Gonzalez were each charged with one count each of conspiracy to possess extortion proceeds. They are scheduled to make their initial appearance today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeffrey L. Cureton.

According to the affidavit filed with the complaint, on September 22, 2017, an individual began receiving threatening calls from an unrecognizable Mexican telephone number. The caller stated he kidnapped the individual’s two brothers in Rioverde, San Luis Potosi, Mexico and demanded $300,000 or they would be killed. The next day the ransom demand was lowered to $40,000 and then again to $20,000. Instructions were given to deliver the money, once the money was delivered the caller disclosed the location of the brothers and they were found tied up in a motel room in Rioverde, San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

- FWBP Digital Partners -

On September 29, 2017, the same individual received another call from the same Mexican telephone number demanding an additional $100,000 or else they would kidnap the brothers again and kill them. The deadline for the second ransom drop was Friday, October 13, 2017. On October 13, 2017, the caller agreed to a location at a Home Depot in Fort Worth for the money drop. At approximately 4:30 p.m., a controlled money drop was made at the agreed upon meeting location. A Hispanic male, exited a red Chevrolet Camaro and attempted to retrieve the package after it was dropped. Three individuals in the red Chevrolet Camaro were then arrested by FBI SWAT Team members.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating. Assistant U.S. Attorney P.J. Meitl is in charge of the prosecution.