Tuesday, September 28, 2021
87 F
Fort Worth

Fort Worth man sues city for wrongfully tearing down house

🕐 2 min read

EMILY SCHMALL, Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Jorge Rodriguez was hoping for an early retirement to Aguas Calientes in his native Mexico.

Instead, the 56-year-old concrete pourer is suing the city of Fort Worth for wrongfully tearing down a house he planned to fix up and sell. The suit marks the third time in a year the city is accused of mistakenly tearing down a home.

Jorge Rodriguez says in the suit filed this week in district court that he received a “partially illegible letter” last May stating his house was scheduled for a teardown. Rodriguez says he went to the city’s planning department and was assured the letter was a clerical error. Nevertheless, the house was later demolished. He’s seeking $50,000 in damages.

“Just imagine having a house, and then a week later, an empty lot, not even grass,” said Isaac Rodriguez, the plaintiff’s son.

Jorge Rodriguez purchased the property for $17,000 in October 2012. A January 2013 photo on Google Maps shows a squat, one-story house with missing shingles and boarded-up windows.

Rodriguez had fixed the house’s foundation, but was otherwise just using it to store tools and equipment when it was razed, according to his son.

The city last year temporarily halted the demolition of substandard structures when a contractor was discovered to have mistakenly razed two other homes.

City officials settled a lawsuit for $62,500 in April with one couple whose home was wrongfully destroyed.

The contractor, Garrett Demolition, Inc., had mistakenly torn down the couple’s three-bedroom home rather than the condemned building next door.

The day before, Garrett Demolition tore down two homes on the same north-side lot. The order was to raze just one house that had suffered fire damage.

A photograph of the demolition notice shared with The Associated Press shows that Garrett Demolition was also responsible for tearing down Rodriguez’s house.

“The city contracted us to demolish that property, just like they hired us to demolish the other two, whether they were the right ones or not. As a contractor that does work for the city, obviously, we do the work they tell us to do,” said April Collmar, the demolition company’s operations manager.

City spokesman Bill Begley said he could not comment on the case while litigation is pending.

Robert Francis
Robert is a Fort Worth native and longtime editor of the Fort Worth Business Press. He is a former president of the local Society of Professional Journalists and was a freelancer for a variety of newspapers, weeklies and magazines, including American Way, BrandWeek and InformatonWeek. A graduate of TCU, Robert has held a variety of writing and editing positions at publications such as the Grand Prairie Daily News and InfoWorld. He is also a musician and playwright.

Related Articles

Our Digital Sponsors

Latest Articles

Not ready to subscribe?

Try a few articles on us.

Enter your email address and we will give you access to three articles a month, to give us a try. You also get an opportunity to receive our newsletter with stories of the day.

Get our email updates

Stay up-to-date with the issues, companies and people that matter most to business in the Fort Worth.

  • Restaurants
  • Technology
  • and more!

FWBP Morning Brief

FWBP 5@5

Weekend Newsletter

  • Banking & Finance
  • Culture
  • Real Estate