Boil water notice issued for Far North Fort Worth

Residents in Far North Fort Worth are under a boil water notice, according to a city news release issued early Thursday morning.

The affected area is bordered by Sendera Boulevard on the north, Willow Springs Road on the west, Haslet city limits on the east and Bonds Ranch Road on the south. The notice also includes the Trails of Fossil Creek and the Fossil Hill subdivisions.

Due to a loss of pressure in parts of the water system, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality required the city to notify customers of the need to boil their water prior to consumption.

Water for drinking, cooking and for making ice should be boiled and cooled prior to use to ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, according to city officials. The water should be brought to a rolling boil and then boiled for two minutes.

- FWBP Digital Partners -

As an alternative to boiling, residents may purchase bottled water or obtain water from some other suitable source.

When boiling water no longer is necessary, the city said it will notify customers that the water is safe for consumption. Questions regarding the matter may be directed to the city at 817-392-4477.

But what caused the problem? According to the city, an operational error caused the Bradley elevated water tank on Harmon Road to drain, resulting in the pressure dropping below 20 pounds per square inch in some areas.

All restaurants in the affected area are closed until boil water notice is rescinded, which is expected to occur no sooner than Friday afternoon. Restaurants are being closed under health code because water in the area has been deemed unsafe for public consumption unless it is boiled.

- Advertisement -

Food preparation areas in the deli and bakery sections of all grocery stores within the affected area also will be shut down. Establishments whose primary function is not food preparation — such as nursing homes and day-care centers — will remain open if they provide clients with pre-packaged foods and only use water that is safe for consumption such as bottled water for drinking.

More information on food establishment closures is available by calling 817-392-7255.