Sunday, October 17, 2021
60.4 F
Fort Worth
970x250_DM_Leasing

Person dies in Texas after infection from bacteria in Gulf

🕐 1 min read

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) — South Texas health officials say a person died after becoming infected with bacteria while wade fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Health officials said Tuesday that the person was hospitalized with severe leg pain after going into the water with skin tears. Measures taken to fight the infection included amputation.

The Corpus Christi-Nueces County Public Health District says vibrio bacteria naturally inhabit coastal waters where oysters live. The bacteria can enter the body through an open wound or by consuming raw or undercooked shellfish.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the U.S.

Dr. Emilie Prot with the Texas Department of State Health Services says there’s a larger amount of the bacteria present in summer months.

Related Articles

Our Digital Sponsors

Latest Articles

Not ready to subscribe?

Try a few articles on us.

Enter your email address and we will give you access to three articles a month, to give us a try. You also get an opportunity to receive our newsletter with stories of the day.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get our email updates

Stay up-to-date with the issues, companies and people that matter most to business in the Fort Worth.

  • Restaurants
  • Technology
  • and more!

FWBP Morning Brief

FWBP 5@5

Weekend Newsletter

  • Banking & Finance
  • Culture
  • Real Estate