Renfro Foods Inc.
815 Stella St.
Fort Worth 76104
Fort Worth’s Renfro Foods Inc. was named the Small Family Business of the Year by Baylor University’s Institute for Family Business (IFB), the school announced Nov. 16.
Renfro Foods, along with several other businesses will be honored at the 2015 Texas Family Business of the Year Award winners and finalists at an awards banquet Nov. 19 at Baylor University’s new Paul L. Foster Campus for Business and Innovation.
The awards program – now in its 26th year – recognizes firms whose families demonstrate a commitment to each other, to business continuity and to the needs of their employees, community and industry.
“The Institute for Family Business is excited about our 2016 cohort of award winners. They represent a wide range of industries and are based mainly in the Texas Triangle region,” said William Worthington, IFB director.
The iconic Fort Worth salsa maker started modestly 75 years ago in George and Arthurine Renfro’s north Fort Worth garage as a packaged spices and pepper sauce business.
Now the award-winning Renfro Foods is a third-generation family owned specialty food manufacturer with a product line that includes syrups, jellies, preserves, vinegars, chow chow and taco sauce. Renfro’s current 18-salsa product line ranges from mild to scary hot, has evolved to include eclectic cutting edge items such as Pomegranate Chipotle, Mango Habanero, Tequila, and Ghost Pepper salsas.
The company has become one of the largest salsa manufacturers in the United States and ranks No. 10 out of 500-plus salsa brands on the market.
This year’s winners are:
• Small Family Business of the Year – Renfro Foods Inc. – Fort Worth
• Medium Family Business of the Year – The Arbor Behavioral Healthcare Facilities – Georgetown
• Large Family Business of the Year – Georgetown Mortgage – Georgetown
• Community Commitment Award –Tranum Auto Group – Temple
• Family Values Award – Ben Franklin Apothecary – Duncanville
• Fastest Growing Award – Ready Seal, Inc. – Lewisville
• Well-Managed Award – Groves Equipment Rental Co., Inc. – Groves
• Founders Award – Freddy’s Auto Glass & Mirror Inc. – Waco
• Heritage Award – Wylie Flower & Gift – Wylie
• Stewardship Award – High Point Travel Inc. – Dallas
• Young/New Business Award – Focus Behavioral Associates – Robinson
Finalists are: Amaral Tellawi, PLLC (Houston); Financial Management Professionals, Inc. (Austin); Home Abstract and Title Company (Woodway); Houston Texas Dental Spa (Houston); Lewis Public Relations, A Three Box Inc. Company (Dallas); Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch (San Antonio); and Son Beverage Company (San Antonio).
Renfro Foods was honored as the Family Business of the Year at the Fort Worth Business Top 100 Awards in August.