The 2016 FWFWF, March 31 – April 3, is a weekend-long celebration hosted at different locations throughout the city of Fort Worth. Spanning four days and six signature events, the festival will showcase everything from chef-driven canapés to out-of-this-world brunch offerings, juicy burgers, new spins on barbecue and an event solely dedicated to desserts.
EVENT: BBQ Showdown
WHEN: Thursday, March 31, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
WHERE: W. R. Watt Arena
Pit-masters from across the state will come together to celebrate the festival launch and share their smoked treasures with guests. Enjoy barbeque along with some tasty sides, from around North Texas and the famed Hill Country, too. Look for lots of great barbecue-worthy beverages, as well. Celebrity judges Jess Pryles, Daniel Vaughn, Pat Sharpe, Alice Laussade and Fritz Rahr will be selecting their favorite bite too.
Some of the barbeque and such that will be featured at the Showdown:
• 18th and Vine Kansas City Barbeque – Scott Gottlich & Matt Dallman
• BBQ on The Brazos – John Sanford
• Billy’s Oak Acres BBQ – Billy Woodrich
• Black’s BBQ – Barrett Black
• Chuckwagon BBQ & Burgers
• Cousins Bar-B-Q – Brandon & Matt Smith
• Cucina 503 – Edward Mendoza
• Del Norte – Chris Garcia
• Dude, Sweet Chocolate – Katherine Clapner
• Heim BBQ – Travis Heim
• Lockhart Smokehouse – Jill Bergus
• Meat U Anywhere BBQ & Catering
• Riscky’s Barbeque
• Ten 50 BBQ – William Weisiger
EVENT: Main Event
WHEN: Friday, April 1, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
WHERE: Pier 1 Imports Building
More than 100 exceptional wines, craft beers and spirits from near and far will be poured at Main Event. The sipping pairs perfectly with food from the best North Texas chefs, restaurateurs and artisan producers and crafters. This beautiful venue will showcase our Main Event in the expansive lobby area, while the outdoor area will host live-fire cooking demos. There will also be a beer garden and a tented lounge area.
Chef Derek Venutolo will be on hand representing The Capital Grille. “It is so wonderful to get so many restaurateurs and chefs together for one weekend where everyone has the opportunity to get a taste of what we have to offer. It really showcases the culinary expertise and just how much talent we have in Fort Worth. I think it is so great what co-founders Mike Micallef and Russell Kirkpatrick have been able to accomplish here. I am glad to be part of it but honored to be part of this great city that has so much to offer,” says Gloria Starling, Managing Partner of The Capital Grille.
More of the area’s fine dining hot spots who will be hosting you at Main Event:
• Bird Café – David McMillan
• Bonnell’s – Jon Bonnell
• Capital Grille – Derek Venutolo
• Clay Pigeon – Marcus Paslay
• Eddie V’s Prime Seafood – Michael Duff
• Ellerbe Fine Foods – Molly McCook
• Grace – Blaine Staniford
• Le Cep – Sandra Avila
• Lonesome Dove
• Michael’s Cuisine – Michael Thomson
• Next Wood Fired Bistro – Gabriel Ochoa
• Nonna Tata – Donatella Trotti
• Pacific Table – Felipe Armenta Jr.
• Patina Green Home & Garden – Robert Lyford
• Reata Restaurant – Andrew Dilda
• Remedy, HG SPLY CO. – Danyele McPherson
• Rough Creek Lodge – Gerard Thompson
• Small Brewpub – Misti Norris
• Trio – Jason Harper
• Waters Bonnell’s Coastal Cuisine – Jon Bonnell
• Whiskey & Rye (Omni Fort Worth) – Sebastien Layen
EVENT: Dessert After Dark
WHEN: Friday, April 1, 9 p.m. – 12 a.m.
WHERE: The Shack at Panther Island
Time to sip a true Texas cocktail, enjoy sweet somethings and dance the night away. The festival’s Desserts After Dark event aims to please: using Firestone & Robertson’s TX Blended Whiskey in their creations, 12 pastry chefs and 12 mixologists craft special eats and drinks for your palate’s pleasure. You can spend the evening sampling these special noshes and elixirs, then vote on your favorite edible and libation.
Artisan cheese and chocolate makers and the pastry chefs who will delight you After Dark:
• Bonnell’s – Spencer Marks
• Central Market – Sarah Hooton
• Chef Evan – Evan Faris
• Dallas Mozzarella Company
• Dr. Sue’s Chocolate
• Fixture Restaurant
• Gypsy Scoops – Julie Markley
• Mod Bakehouse – Lina Biancamano
• Stir Crazy Baked Goods – Robbie Werner
• Sweet Lucy’s Pies – Lucy Lawing
• Veldhuizen Cheese Shoppe
• Wiseman House Chocolates – Kevin Wenzel
• The Worthington Renaissance Fort Worth Hotel