Monday, October 18, 2021
60.4 F
Fort Worth

Weinstein accuser Rose McGowan’s suspended Twitter account back in business

🕐 2 min read

NEW YORK (AP) — Twitter says that Rose McGowan’s account was suspended because of a tweet that included a phone number and has announced that the actress’s account is now unlocked.

In a statement, Twitter said Thursday it was a tweet by McGowan with a personal phone number that violated its service terms. The company said it will “be clearer about these policies and decisions in the future.”

McGowan’s suspension caused an enormous backlash on social media, with many criticizing Twitter for a move that would silence an alleged victim of sexual harassment by Harvey Weinstein on its service.

McGowan has been among the most vocal in Hollywood about sexual abuse in the industry.

In other news related to the Weinstein scandal, Hachette Book Group, one of the country’s top publishers, says that it has “terminated” its deal with Weinstein Books.

Hachette and the book publishing arm of the Weinstein Company had a co-publishing arrangement that included works by Dick Van Dyke, Larry King and Tim Russert.

According to Hachette, titles under the Weinstein imprint will be published through the Hachette Books imprint. The staff of Weinstein, which had released around 10 books a years, will be folded into Hachette Books.

In New York City, meanwhile, police detectives are taking a fresh look into sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein.

Police spokesman Peter Donald said Thursday that investigators are reviewing police files to see if any women previously reported being assaulted or harassed by the media mogul.

So far, no past complaints have been found, other than one well-known case that prompted an investigation in 2015.

The department is also encouraging anyone with information to come forward.

A law enforcement official says detectives also plan to contact women who spoke about their encounters with Weinstein in a New Yorker article this week.

The official wasn’t authorized to speak publicly on an ongoing probe and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Weinstein has denied any nonconsensual sexual conduct with any women.

In a video posted on TMZ, Weinstein said he’s “not doing OK” but he is hoping for a “second chance” amid the fallout surrounding allegations of widespread sexual abuse.

Weinstein spoke in front of media Wednesday as he emerged from a Los Angeles home and got into a vehicle.

In remarks captured on the video, he said he needs to “get help” and “we all make mistakes.”

He concluded with an obscenity-laced remark.

Related Articles

970x250_DM_Leasing

Our Digital Sponsors

Latest Articles

Not ready to subscribe?

Try a few articles on us.

Enter your email address and we will give you access to three articles a month, to give us a try. You also get an opportunity to receive our newsletter with stories of the day.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get our email updates

Stay up-to-date with the issues, companies and people that matter most to business in the Fort Worth.

  • Restaurants
  • Technology
  • and more!

FWBP Morning Brief

FWBP 5@5

Weekend Newsletter

  • Banking & Finance
  • Culture
  • Real Estate